UU View Archive
11. Service Week 2/7/2021
Please join us Sunday February 7th at 11am ET for
Searching for Walden's Instagram
By Matthew Pargeter-Villarreal
Description: Henry David Thoreau is a much celebrated figure in Unitarian Universalist history. His rugged determination that led him to renounce the world and move to a small cabin where he would write Walden has served as an inspiration to generations of future Unitarian Universalists, although he may not seem to have much in common with the endless stream of social media influences that we see today. Join Matthew Pargeter-Villarreal for a discussion of how the two are more alike than they appear to be different.
Matthew Pargeter-Villarreal is a recent Masters of Divinity graduate from Brite Divinity School with a concentration in Sexual and Gender Justice and a Candidate for Ministry with the UUA. He also served as a Chaplain at Baylor All Saints Medical Center in Fort Worth, TX. Matthew and his husband, Gabriel, are currently living in Comfort, TX.
Service Leader: Mike Holland
Special Musician: Penny Brewster with Warren Riley
Storyteller: Jamie Thomas via video
Media: Gene Brown, Mike Holland
GREAT NEWS regarding Joining the Sunday Service Broadcast:
This is a recurring meeting every Sunday!
Sign in as early as 10:30 and services begin at 11:00 followed by a coffee hour post service.
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 894 6620 3448
Dial by your location
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 646 876 9923 US (New York)
This broadcast will have a 15-20 second delay between the call and what is being displayed.
Joys and Concerns will be conveyed by Mike
Virtual Coffee Hour not available with Facebook
Feb 14th - Gregory Carrow Boyd
Feb 21st - Greg Greenway
Feb 28th - Rev. Dr. Clyde Grubbs
March 7th - John Snodgrass
March 14th - Freeman Owle
Feb 8th - Mike Holland AND Robert Kasten
Feb 15th - Tom Reisdorph
Feb 19th - Bill West
Feb 20th - Gene Brown
Feb 24th - Randy Martin
General Speaker Interest Form
Moreover, I am shifting the UUView publication timeframe. Getting the view together for Thursday publication is not aligned with my schedule at all. I am going to start producing the view on Sunday evenings for publication Monday mornings. Please have any submissions for the view in by the end of coffee hour (around 1pm) on Sundays.
Looking for a mid-week hangout? Join the Wednesday night social!By Computer: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/
By Phone: 312 626 6799
Meeting ID: 848 8174 9253
Calling all UUs!
Brace yourself for a bit of a truth bomb...
Our beloved Fellowship doesn't run on pixie dust and well-wishes. I know, I know, it's shocking.
Several key people put in hours and hours each week to ensure Sunday Services keep happening, this newsletter goes out, the grounds are kept up during this time away from our sanctuary, and that we continue to hold a place in the hearts
and minds of our community. You know who they are -- Mike, Gene, Becky, Sandi, Donn, Warren, Me (Shalimar), the Mearas...
But we need more help. We want to take time away, but we can't without letting our whole fellowship down. Please, consider giving the gift of your time and talents. Training is provided, and Covid precautions are in place.
Right now we have immediate need of volunteers in these critical areas:
- Flowers for the sanctuary each Sunday
- Service leaders
- Storytime readers
- Musical Guests
- Leaders for contemplative dialog and spirituality discussions
- RE Course facilitators
- Social Media managers and relief UU View editors
Remember - Love is the spirit of this fellowship, and community is its goal. Our great covenant absolutely includes service. Reach out today to help one another!
Macon County Health Covid-19 Vaccination Process (Per a 1/21/21 zoom training session)
All NC recipients of the vaccine must be registered in the NC Covid-19 Vaccine Management System (CVMS.)
1. Register individually.
2. Your information will be entered into the CVMS.
3. You will be notified of which Priority Group you are in.
4. You will call MCHD to schedule an appointment when your Group is eligible. Registration requires: your name, residency, contact information, ethnic info, health information as needed to determine your priority.
To register you can:
1. Use the MaconNC.org, “Individual On-Line Registration” option. A personal email address is required for this option.
2. Call Drake’s call center: 828 524-1500, A personal email address is required for this option.
3. With no email address, call MCHD call center: 828-349-2517, Option 2. It will take 4-5 business days from when you register for you to receive your Priority Group determination. You are responsible for finding out which Priority Group MCHD is scheduling and you must call MCHD 828-349-2517 to schedule an appointment for your first shot. MCHD is giving 200 shots/day (both 1st and 2nd.) The process seems to be influx. Other vaccination distribution opportunities are being discussed: hospitals, Ingles, Walgreens, etc. So, we need to pay attention for other opportunities.
Your suggestion will be reviewed and added.
First is a music selection from Warren -This is fun. A very unusual dramatization of various vocal works some opera some not. Produced on risers with orchestral and personal interaction.
Don't try to follow a story. It is just a collection of vocal music. If you dislike the one playing skip ahead to the next.
Lastly a joke submitted by Warren -A middle-aged UU man was grocery shopping and a 20 something blonde catches his eye. She looks very familiar, but he can't remember where he met her. He moved in to speak with her, but she speaks first, "Hi - I think you're the father of one of my children." The guy freaks out. He says, "I've only cheated on my wife 3 times - in Vegas 5 years ago, in Orlando 4 years ago, and in Seattle 3 years ago. You look familiar, but I just can't remember. Who are you?" She says, "I'm your son's Sunday school teacher at All Souls UU."
The first is I would like 2 or 3 folks to be willing to sign into the Zoom Sunday service around 10:30 to welcome folks and to greet our visitors.
The second way is: I'm looking for a few more folks that have the time and interest to assist in checking in with our members by telephone during this time of pandemic. It feels right to try to reach out at this time. We do care for one another!
• It’s green - no fuel consumption.
• It’s efficient - no drive time.
• It’s safe - no designated drivers.
• It’s community building - get to know each other.
• It’s fun - food, drink and conversation.
Meeting ID: 848 8174 9253
See you then. 828 524-3691