UU View Archive
10. Service Week 1/31/2021
Please join us Sunday January 31th at 11am ET for
Are We Aware
By Rev. Tracie Barrett
Description: "Are We Aware?" We as Unitarian Universalists are not immune from the issues of racism and privilege. Rev. Tracie Barrett explores our history, our present, and what our future could be as we become more aware.
Reverend Tracie Barrett lives in Winter Springs, Florida and considers herself to be a UU Evangelist, sharing the good news about our liberal faith. She is the Minister of Ritual and Liturgy for Soul Fire - a Unitarian Universalist Ministry, an experimental, experiential, ever-expansive digital ministry focused on worship and retreat functions rooted in Unitarian Universalist values. In addition to her duties at Soul.Fire, she creates and provides workshops for congregations and groups of individuals. She is also pursuing a Doctor of Ministry at United Theological School with a focus on revitalizing congregations.
Service Leader: Mike Holland
Special Musician: Mike Holland
Storyteller: Annette Watlington
Media: Gene Brown, Mike Holland
GREAT NEWS regarding Joining the Sunday Service Broadcast:
This is a recurring meeting every Sunday!
Sign in as early as 10:30 and services begin at 11:00 followed by a coffee hour post service.
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 894 6620 3448
Dial by your location
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 646 876 9923 US (New York)
This broadcast will have a 15-20 second delay between the call and what is being displayed.
Joys and Concerns will be conveyed by Mike
Virtual Coffee Hour not available with Facebook
Feb 7th - Matthew Pargeter-Villarreal
Feb 14th - Gregory Carrow Boyd
Feb 21st - Greg Greenway
Feb 28th - Rev. Dr. Clyde Grubbs
March 7th - John Snodgrass
March 14th - Freeman Owle
Jan 8th - Janice Schroeder
Jan 10th - Danna Fewell
Jan 15th - Donn Erickson
Jan 19th - John Fraser
General Speaker Interest Form
Moreover, I am shifting the UUView publication timeframe. Getting the view together for Thursday publication is not aligned with my schedule at all. I am going to start producing the view on Sunday evenings for publication Monday mornings. Please have any submissions for the view in by the end of coffee hour (around 1pm) on Sundays.
Looking for a mid-week hangout? Join the Wednesday night social!By Computer: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/
By Phone: 312 626 6799
Meeting ID: 848 8174 9253
Calling all UUs!
Brace yourself for a bit of a truth bomb...
Our beloved Fellowship doesn't run on pixie dust and well-wishes. I know, I know, it's shocking.
Several key people put in hours and hours each week to ensure Sunday Services keep happening, this newsletter goes out, the grounds are kept up during this time away from our sanctuary, and that we continue to hold a place in the hearts
and minds of our community. You know who they are -- Mike, Gene, Becky, Sandi, Donn, Warren, Me (Shalimar), the Mearas...
But we need more help. We want to take time away, but we can't without letting our whole fellowship down. Please, consider giving the gift of your time and talents. Training is provided, and Covid precautions are in place.
Right now we have immediate need of volunteers in these critical areas:
- Flowers for the sanctuary each Sunday
- Service leaders
- Storytime readers
- Musical Guests
- Leaders for contemplative dialog and spirituality discussions
- RE Course facilitators
- Social Media managers and relief UU View editors
Remember - Love is the spirit of this fellowship, and community is its goal. Our great covenant absolutely includes service. Reach out today to help one another!
Macon County Health Covid-19 Vaccination Process (Per a 1/21/21 zoom training session)
All NC recipients of the vaccine must be registered in the NC Covid-19 Vaccine Management System (CVMS.)
1. Register individually.
2. Your information will be entered into the CVMS.
3. You will be notified of which Priority Group you are in.
4. You will call MCHD to schedule an appointment when your Group is eligible. Registration requires: your name, residency, contact information, ethnic info, health information as needed to determine your priority.
To register you can:
1. Use the MaconNC.org, “Individual On-Line Registration” option. A personal email address is required for this option.
2. Call Drake’s call center: 828 524-1500, A personal email address is required for this option.
3. With no email address, call MCHD call center: 828-349-2517, Option 2. It will take 4-5 business days from when you register for you to receive your Priority Group determination. You are responsible for finding out which Priority Group MCHD is scheduling and you must call MCHD 828-349-2517 to schedule an appointment for your first shot. MCHD is giving 200 shots/day (both 1st and 2nd.) The process seems to be influx. Other vaccination distribution opportunities are being discussed: hospitals, Ingles, Walgreens, etc. So, we need to pay attention for other opportunities.
Join Me in Welcoming Megan Van der Linde -
Megan joined about a week ago after 'Zooming' in for several visits recently. We are delighted you've joined our congregation and look forward to seeing you in person when we can, and via Zoom when we can't! We know you will enrich our fellowship and we hope you will find yourself stimulated, engaged, and connected to good folks and causes here!
Your suggestion will be reviewed and added.
First, is a music selection from Shalimar -
This track feels soooooo UU to me
Do your thing!
Be fancy-free to call the tune you sing.
Don't give up!
That's not the way to win a loving cup.
Do your best,
and opportunity will do the rest.
Don't give in!
Capitulation is the greatest sin.
Do what's right,
what's right for you, to do with all your might.
What might have been, you might as well forget.
Stand your ground,
and while you're standing there, be duty-bound.
Learn to wait,
and while you're waiting, learn to concentrate.
All enemies I call potential friends,
Calm your fears,
and hope to cope at least a hundred years.
Make your mark!
If need be, even make it in the dark.
Mum's the word!
My sage advice, pretend you haven't heard.
Next is a music selection from Warren -The mechanics of a guitar concerto was difficult to execute before amplification. The guitar does not have the volume to be audible when a full orchestra is playing. Listen to the interesting ways the composer gets around this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQKrVbvUEhY
The first is I would like 2 or 3 folks to be willing to sign into the Zoom Sunday service around 10:30 to welcome folks and to greet our visitors.
The second way is: I'm looking for a few more folks that have the time and interest to assist in checking in with our members by telephone during this time of pandemic. It feels right to try to reach out at this time. We do care for one another!
• It’s green - no fuel consumption.
• It’s efficient - no drive time.
• It’s safe - no designated drivers.
• It’s community building - get to know each other.
• It’s fun - food, drink and conversation.
Meeting ID: 848 8174 9253
See you then. 828 524-3691